- 1 Reporting Bugs
- 2 Fixing Common Problems
- 2.1 My Game keeps crashing at random points!
- 2.2 When I try and open the game, it loads for ages and then crashes
- 2.3 Can't connect to another player in multiplayer
- 2.4 The Multiplayer Button is Greyed Out
- 2.5 My textures have been replaced by red text, or the lighting effects have become very blown out
- 2.6 I have no sound at all
- 3 Game File Locations
If you've encountered any bugs, please ask for support in the Bug-reports channel of Discord (https://discord.gg/hammerwatch) or email the developers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your save, log and any mdmp's created as well as a Description of the issue, steps to reproduce it, and relevant screenshots.
Fixing Common Problems
My Game keeps crashing at random points!
This could be related to a lot of things!
- A good starting place is trying the game in DirectX mode, if you haven't already, as a lot of issues can stem from openGL.
- To open in directX mode, when launching the game in steam, simply select the (directx, alternate) option rather than the default. To ensure the game always runs in directx mode you can also add the argument "dx" (without quote marks) as a launch argument in Steam via the game properties.
- If you're playing b104 and the crashes seem to be happening during level transitions, please try the public_testing build and see if this helps. For details on switching branch see Game Branches
- If you're using Discord and have Discord overlay enabled, try disabling it.
When I try and open the game, it loads for ages and then crashes
Updating/Installing Visual C++ has helped fix this for users. Download from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
Can't connect to another player in multiplayer
- Check that Heroes of Hammerwatch is up to date and everyone is running the same build.
- Make sure everyone launches the game through Steam or GOG Galaxy (not a separate shortcut).
- If using Mods, ensure everyone has the same mods active
- Turn firewalls and antivirus off for all players.
- Verify Game Files Steam GOG
- Restart all players' PCs.
- Restart all players' routers, and check for any updates for your router.
The Multiplayer Button is Greyed Out
What does the tooltip message say when hovering over the multiplayer button?
If you open the console (`), or the log file mentioned above, do you see either a message about being unable to connect to GOG, or Failed to initialize Steam?
- Unable to Connect To GOG
- Ensure that Heroes of Hammerwatch can connect to GOG servers/That GOG isn't down.
- Double check that you are not blocking connections with GOG service - *GOG.COM*, especially *auth.gog.com* and *login.gog.com*. (This applies to Steam users as well) TCP port: 443(https)
- GoG seems to have stricter name profanity filters than Steam. This has caused people to be unable to connect to the GOG service. If your account name might be getting caught by this, try changing it and seeing if that helps, this is usually mentioned in the Galaxy Debug Log mentioned above.
- Are you using mobile internet? This seems to be a common factor in problems. A possible fix is using an older version of Galaxy.dll (Contact Kelly on Discord)
- Failed to initialize Steam
- Ensure Steam is open
- Try Restarting Steam
- Ensure nothing is blocking HoH from connecting to Steam, for example Comodo
Try turning it off and on again?
- In the mod menu, deselect the unpacked mod.
- If you have both a packed and an unpacked version of the same mod, you will need to enable or disable them both at the same time.
If you wish to play with unpacked mods for testing purposes, you can set the line "g_pure 0" in your config, however this will prevent you from seeing other lobbies without this setting.
My textures have been replaced by red text, or the lighting effects have become very blown out
This bug has been around a long time, it seems to be caused by extended sessions of play, and as such it's refereed to as the "take a break bug"
It can be easily fixed by restarting the game, if you're in the middle of a run you can exit out and your progress will be saved.
I have no sound at all
Check your log, if you see a line along the lines of
"Failed to allocate FMOD sound bank memory, tried to allocate 214085088 bytes! sound/master_bank.bank"
then there isn't enough room to allocate the soundbank, generally this has been due to a small amount of overall RAM. There is no fix yet aside from trying to increase available memory.
Game File Locations
The Save File, Log and .mdmp files (if created) are all in the Game Folder, the location will be something along the lines of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Heroes of Hammerwatch
or, on Linux
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/Heroes\ of\ Hammerwatch/
depending on where your steam library is installed.
This can also be reached in steam by going to the game properties, and then clicking on the "Local Files" tab and then "Browse Local Files"
Your save is in the /Saves/ folder. It will have a name similar to slot_0.hws The number in the filename is the number of the Profile you're playing on minus 1, so Profile 1 in game is is slot_0.hws, Profile 2 is slot_1.hws and so on.
The versions of the saves with .1 .2 .3 in the name are backups of the Main profile saves, if you have any issues with a save missing or becoming corrupt it's good to check if there are any of these backups in place. Whilst unlikely to contain different save information when compared to the main Slot save due to the nature of when they are created, they can be renamed to the same name as the main profile slot and loaded and are worth checking when other options have been exhausted.
The Logfile is called HWR.exe.log, it might not be obvious if file extensions are disabled. It contains a live log of the in game console, and is updated during play. So you don't need to close your current session to check it. If you've restarted the game since the problem, previous logs are archived to the Logs folder, you can see timestamps in the names of these files to help select the correct file.
If the game crashes to desktop, usually, but not always, there are mdmp files created. Please include these when mentioning any issues you had.
Galaxy Debug Log
If you've got issues with Galaxy not connecting, the log this produces can help diagnose the issue further.
- Download this file: https://cdn.gog.com/open/galaxy/sdk/Debug/GalaxyPeer.ini
- Put it in the game folder (where the .exe is)
- Start the game
- Reproduce the problem#
- DM the log file (GalaxyPeer.log) to Kelly or Melissa on Discord.